Jackie's Booklikes

Insights for the Booksites - reading mostly for my own pleasure

Jackiez

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful #1)

Beautiful Disaster  - Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster is a young adult novel by Jamie McGuire, and details the tumultuous relationship Abby Abernathy has with the hot-tempered and hostile Travis Maddox at Eastern University. The story starts with, Abby, and her best friend America, having come to Eastern University to escape Abby's past, which includes a drunkard, gambling-addicted father. At college, Abby begins falling for two guys: one is clean-cut, pre-med student Parker, and the other is scrappy, lean, and tattooed Travis Maddox. Travis is instantly in love with Abby, and pursues her relentlessly. Abby at first fights her feelings for Travis, because she doesn't want to fall into a tumultuous life again. Eventually, Travis is able to convince Abby to date him, but he is very jealous and very protective, and arguments and fights with Travis are as frequent as Travis's fight club matches in the basements of university buildings. Abby and Travis break up twice, and ultimately get back together. When a fire breaks out in one of the basements, Travis is terrified that Abby will have been lost forever. Abby decides then that they should fly to Las Vegas to get married, which they do. You can read that in Beautiful Wedding. America is at once both happy for Abby, and annoyed that she wasn't there for the wedding. Abby gets "Mrs. Maddox" tattooed on her hip in order to further seal the marriage.

Some Quotes:

“They don’t want me. They’re curious why you want me. And anyway, I feel sorry for anyone that thinks they have a chance. I am hopelessly and completely in love with you.”
A pained look shadowed his face. “You know why I want you? I didn’t know I was lost until you found me. I didn’t know what alone was until the first night I spent without you in my bed. You’re the one thing I’ve got right. You’re what I’ve been waiting for, Pigeon.”

“After climbing off his bike, I smacked his shoulder. “Did you forget I was with you? Are you trying to get me killed?”
“It’s hard to forget you’re behind me when your thighs are squeezing the life out of me.” A smirk came with his next thought. “I couldn’t think of a better way to die, actually.”
“There is something very wrong with you.”