Jackie's Booklikes

Insights for the Booksites - reading mostly for my own pleasure

Jackiez

The Gingerbread Man by Maggie Shayne

Gingerbread Man - Maggie Shayne

Haunting Halloween Thriller

Run, run, run as fast as you can..... you can't catch me cause I'm the Gingerbread Man.

It was Ivy Newman's favorite book as a child. Ivy was abducted and presumed dead after her and her sister, Holly, took a different route on their way home one day. Holly escapes but never recovers fully from the terrible ordeal that took her sister, Ivy, away from her causing her to live on the brink of insanity.

After a cop finds two children who had gone missing in a run down building, dead and putrefying, he more or less loses his calm and his cookies, and is forced to take a vacation. They'd been victims of a case of child molesting.

He finds himself in a quiet small town after he pursues a lead about a missing library book -The Gingerbread Man- It was found at the scene of the crimes of the two children.

I love the mystery of the climax and the people involved in it. It was hard to miss the culprit in a small town where people seemed to be so connected and knew each other well. I was blown away and shocked when the truth was revealed. I know you will be too.