Jackie's Booklikes

Insights for the Booksites - reading mostly for my own pleasure

Jackiez
SPOILER ALERT!

God's of The Nowhere: A Novel of Halloween

Gods of The Nowhere: A Novel of Halloween - James Tipper

I came across this 2013 book release in a comment recommending it for allhallowsread. I am glad I did because it truly is the ultimate halloween read! If you read it on kindle, I suggest you choose the publisher font to enhance your reading experience. It's gothic and beautiful.

Simon Magus is an evil Samarian druid and false prophet who killed Sam's parents when he was young but fails to kill the child.

(show spoiler)

Father Doc, a rad Catholic priest, takes legal guardianship of the boy and vows to keep him safe and protected, but he knows things about him that Sam doesn't, until on the night of his 18th birthday...... a neighbour had spotted a car parked in front of Sam's house. It wasn't just a normal car but a Roll's Royce hearse. The car was a bad omen. The plates read: SAMZDED and it was going to kill Father Doc too.

Lucia is Sam's best friend who lived across the street. Sam has always seen things like 'a lady in glass', a 'crackling' in his head that smelled like fire and smoke, a 'stalking cat' and 'bird' and other inexplicable phenomena but he doesn't know why. Sam and Lucia believe the visions will only get worse if they don't listen to the clues, and are led to an empty tomb on Halloween night.

Facing the inevitable they find themselves in a place beyond the living called Nowhere. There they face unspeakable horrors and meet a dead phantom called Lore, a foul pumpkin called Jack'O'Lantern, a tiny witch called Hex, a Templar Knight, Jacques de Molay, who I found very interesting, and vampire leeches that want to eat them. Vampires are called Leeches who don't drink blood for obvious reasons because there is no living blood to drink there, but they subsist on the promise of immortality and a herb called nightshade that is only grown in the soil of Hell. Eventually Sam comes to know the lady in the glass also known as Clara or Tlachtga who appears in the Epilogue. She is the druid goddess who needs Sam's help. Her father is Mog Ruith. Everyone in the Nowhere knew who Sam was but Sam. He was the last to learn the truth about himself and about Halloween .

He is SamHain the God of Halloween.
(show spoiler)